Tuesday, March 2, 2010

So after a month of not posting a major rant

Dear Church-
(and I'm using the universal term, not a specific branch here, although I can name names if you're really want me to..)

Peace and greetings to you in the name of our Lord Jesus (isn't that how all the epistles start?)

It has been a long standing thorn in my side that I've asked the Lord to chill me out about and He hasn't. So, here are my thoughts:

 This so-called meals ministry or hospitality ministry or whatever the local church calls it- where people bring meals to a particular person for a particular reason-

Is it really the best use of our resources and time to be making and taking meals to families with at least 1 non-working/non-affected adult in the house who is perfectly capable of making that household's meal that night?

Isn't there a verse about if they don't work, nor shall they eat?

Really this burns me up. And probably because I value self reliance so strongly, but...
If you have a cousin/mother/sister/adult daughter/perfectly capable adult living in the house with you.. do you really need someone in the church to make and bring you a meal?

*sigh*

I just feel taken advantage of when I get to a house which is immaculate (of course, because they have help living there who isn't cooking..) and find the extra adults just waiting for their (take out) meal to arrive. Which was delivered at meal time when I'd be better spending the time feeding my family rather than driving it to deliver it. (which here in So Cal at dinner time is 1.5 hr drive time because of traffic)

So I return to a disaster of a kitchen with hungry kids and annoyance in my heart.

Twice this month.

I don't think that's serving with a joyful heart.

And more so that after volunteering twice outside of the  "reply all" system they have here, there was an email sent saying "please don't take this the wrong way, but why did you volunteer to serve on the team if you haven't volunteered?"

Well. Fine. I quit. Effective immediately. And I want my baking dish back.
And I'm pretty tired of all the "reply all" emails I get.

So, if you plan on having a baby and having family there for the week or two afterward, please don't ask for someone to bring a meal to you at your convenience, if it could please feed 4 healthy adult appetites and include dessert. Pick something up on your way home from the mall you were at when I first arrived at your house.  Plan ahead, buy a frozen meal, get a pizza but really.. try some consideration for those who actually want to help those in NEED.

And dear ms meals coordinator, let's try screening out some of this nonsense, shall we? And keep in mind, if you have to say "please don't take this the wrong way" it WILL be taken the wrong way.

So "please don't take this the wrong way" but I quit and I think this "ministry" is a sick and twisted bastardization of what ministry should be.

Oh, what? your feelings are hurt?
I told you to not take it the wrong way.

No comments: