Friday, March 12, 2010

In pursuit of new things...

We added deserts to our experiences.

Ya know- the dry arid generally hot places? not the sugar filled after dinner snacks.

And I hear and read about desert wildflowers and this year being a particularly spectacular one because we've had rain.

So we went. We took the scenic way there, through an old mountain mining town (put on the list to return to in slightly warmer weather)

And it was indeed beautiful. If only we didn't need to live near civilization to work...

Did the visitor center thing, the kids' discovery center (because it's all about learning) and then did more wandering in the desert.

And when I was home looking at maps and planning our trips, I saw many many 'unimproved jeep roads' with 'high clearance and 4 wheel drive recommended' and thought 'hey, I'll take the truck, not problem..' when I actually got there I started to loose my nerve. Not so much because I thought I'd get stuck but because it was so.... desolate...

We parked and did alot of walking around. Joey was hunting for snakes, mostly determined to find himself a rattlesnake. I think because he's afraid of them. And then when that wasn't enough thrill for him he decided to try cactus touching. The Barrel Cacti mostly. The didn't really hurt.

So.. without much more babbling on, here are the pictures: (yes. Sonia got a haircut this week. We donated her hair to locks of love. She decided she'd rather have short hair than fight about brushing it every.single.day. She likes it. I think her father thinks it's a little too short for a little girl. oh well. it'll grow.)

OK. failed at an attempt at embedding a slide show, so click below

http://smg.photobucket.com/home/gcowles/recentuploads?view=slideshow

2 comments:

Erin said...

Wow! That was SO beautiful! What a blessing to be able to enjoy it!

Unknown said...

I don't see her haircut, but the family pictures are fantastic! Absolutely gorgeous family!