Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Busy couple of days

Yesterday we went to the San Diego County fair. It was fairly fun, the kids loved petting the cows/goats/sheep.. and of course it made me a wee bit nostalgic for Woodstock.. but we know I have a tendency towards nostalgia for anywhere I'm not..

They got to see and try to spin wool into yarn which I thought was a pretty cool thing. Kinda like visiting that tiny part of Old Sturbridge Village here in San Diego.

Watched pig racing, turkey racing, ate cotton candy and some really over priced over greasy not yummy onion rings..

I guess fried dough is a regional thing, since they didn't have any and it's my all time favorite thing to get at a fair. They had funnel cakes, but let's face it- they are not fried dough- not even close. I was hoping there might be fried pickles there, but no luck on that one, either- they had fried twinkies, fried oreos, but no pickles or dough. Nope, didn't even think about trying the fried twinkes or oreos.

It had been a while since we'd been to a fair and I don't really remember the last time we took the kids if at all. So I'd forgotten how much "fun" the rides and games look and how much money it would cost to let the kids ride them. Really- it would have cost $30 to let them all go on the ferris wheel. one time. good grief. So we talked about the cost of stuff (which they seem to understand, kinda) and they got some cotton candy and ice cream cones.

Today we spent the morning at a park. The kids met 2 four-year-old-boys and had a blast running wild with them. I had a good time talking to their parents, so we'll do it again next week.

But otherwise.. no news in the housing department, no big news on any other areas- just life going on.. laundry needing to be washed and put away, toys needing to be picked up, kids whining because they need to rest but refuse to, diapers needing changes- the non-glamourous not exciting side of life...

3 comments:

Jessi said...

So explain to me the difference between fried dough and funnel cake....

Frankly, I'm surprised you had such a "country" event in such a city...glad you had a good time.

Before we realized just how many carnivals set up here, we must have spent $100 altogether for Josiah to ride. Next year we will be saving our money for the BIG stockshow.

Heather said...

yeah um what IS fried dough???

and a fried pickle??? hummmm

Mama to little lions said...

fried dough is dough- flatened and fried. It's more gooey on the inside and less crunchy overall. Funnel cake has all those little lines of thinner dough, more like fried pancakes, imo and more like a nest of crunchy dough.

What's a stockshow? lol