Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sometimes you just don't want to know

And if that is the case do NOT. I repeat do NOT buy a black light to look for stains in the house you're renting.

The house smelled sorta like a frat house meets litter box meets wet dog when we moved in. The entire upstairs was carpeted, and although shampooed 2x before we moved in, SMELLED BAD. BAD BAD BAD kind of bad.

And I've used no less than 8 bottles of "Kids and Pets" (the inventor should be nominated for a nobel prize, IMO) on the obvious spots where the previous resident cats had sprayed the baseboard and cleaning the carpets by hand in the places that made me want to vomit the most, but it still smelled.
Got them professionall cleaned and treated and while smell LESS.. still smells (and I'm not overly sensitive).

So.. Larry on one of his trips to home depot or lowes for something or other found this box with urine smell remover potion and black light to find the spots.

HOLY CRAP!!

The place looks like a crime scene with that light. There is no area of the base boards untouched by urine (presumably cat) and there are HUGE areas where you sit there and think "how many dead bodies could have covered this area" And this was after the professional treatment.

Now the OCD in me used the entire bottle of magic potion and, well, it didn't go away before my very eyes as the bottle promised. I'll see what things look like tomorrow night. And the night after and the night after that and the night after that.. and keep spraying stuff on it until it a. goes away or b. molds or c. my credit card freaks out because there is no way someone can go and buy the same thing that many times at the same store and there must be an error.

But on a happier note- the house closing was today. And just incase there are other real estate agents who want to call the west coast from the east... (and as if they'd be reading this blog..)

There is a 3 hour time difference. What is 12 noon est is 9 am pacific. You're eating lunch while I'm cleaning up breakfast. ok? If you recently finished breakfast, there is a chance that I am asleep. Especially if Larry's on call and not home for me to set my alarm and make sure he gets up..

So, while you may be calling me before 9 am local time to discuss how to use the pool and pool pump, it is before 6 in CA and the pool and pool pump in VA is probably one of the last things I want to stumble around trying to find the phone for, wondering who had died that the phone is ringing repeatedly at this early hour...

There were several 6 am or earlier calls this week from several people (not just the real estate lady). I wonder how much worse it would be if we were sent to say, Hawaii?? Guam?? Okinawa? hmmm... things to ponder the next time I can't find my glasses or the telephone in the dark.

On one of those phone calls, I authorized the purchase of 3000kg of diapers. (of course, what else do we buy in such large quantities, right?) I think. I'm not even sure what I did. It might have been more. And for those metric challenged- that would be 6750 lbs.

I need to not answer the phone before drinking at least 2 cups of coffee. So, if it is an emergency, please hang up and dial 911. If not, call back after I have some awareness of life.

2 comments:

Jessi said...

Gina, I just LOVE reading your blog...I'm so sorry that the carpets are soooo nasty. I don't think I could have braved the black light.

But on a more happy note, I'm so glad that things with the house in VA are OVER. I know that has to be such a relief.

abby and jacob said...

Congrats on selling the house. Sorry everything stinks with the carpet. We had fleas in our new house, but thankfully they are all gone now.