Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Adventures in International Trade

So.. the bill for those diapers I authorized at 5 am came due... (and it ended up being less than 3000kg that I added- phew)

And we have to wire the money to the bank in Pakistan via a bank in New York. We'd done it 6 times or so before to the same company from VA, and the first time it was a 2 hour long process. I call the VA bank and ask to wire the money and there is no way no how they will do it without us being there.

UGH. Plan B. Use our local bank and go through the 2 hour long process again of them trying to figure out which code goes where..

I almost fell out of my seat when the bank girl said "oh, I don't think you're allowed to send money there"

huh?

I know this is a military associated bank and that we're at war in that general area of the world.. but.. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a law passed.

"No", she says, "it's not allowed."

Blank stare from me. Uh.. because this is Navy Federal and you seem to not offer normal bank services (like notarizing stuff- see older post) or why?

"Because it's pakistan"

Still scratching my head.. huh??? WHY??

Long and short, I sat there dumbfounded until she called the manager who said if another bank did it, then they could. I assume if it was, say, Iran, it might be a problem, but com'mon- Pakistan? They're supposed to be sympathetic to Americans there (as sympathetic as a Muslim country can be, I guess)

Still no confirmation that it went sucessfully, but it's just another day in la vida loca here.

No comments: