THOSE people. Close kin to "some people"
The ones with a bunch of kids and an an aura that is a mix of circus excitement and chaos?
That would be us.
And a glimpse into our life flying the sunny skies---
The dynamics of getting us and all our stuff to the airport took some innovation- We had to leave our van empty and with the car top carrier inside at our neighbors' house so it could (theoretically) be picked up by the company who is going to ship it. So.. we rented a van, but they didn't have a 15 passenger van available, so we and our stuff did not fit into the minivan to get to the airport. (For the record- it still has not been picked up)
And there enters our parents (who all 4 traveled down to graduation in my parent's minivan) who followed us to the airport loaded with our "stuff" that didn't fit into minivan #1.
So.. there was US (6 of us, one of which was a screaming toddler most of the time, see picture below) and 4 grandparents and 11 checked bags and 2 car seats 2 booster seats, and a stroller, 3 carry on bags, and 3 kid backpacks.
And the baggage checker who in no-way was interested in letting us check that many bags, much less be speedy or kind about it.
And we were assigned 5 different rows.
Now I don't know about you, but I was more than willing to put screaming toddler in the row farthest back with the lady who gave me the dirtiest look when I saw her and told her the window seat next to her was assigned to one of us.
This would be us attempting to check our bags/pack-n-play and booster seats:
So.. the lady giving me the glare was willing to change seats (what a surprise, huh?) and I get JM in there, get his car seat installed and realize 2 things- (maybe 3)
- Those dang HUGE seat belt buckles end up under his butt if you install it front facing, so of course he's going to yell.
- Front facing car seats on an airplane give your child the height and leverage to KICK the head of the person with the misfortune to be sitting in front of you.
- When you give up and decide to hold screaming kicking toddler after 30 minutes of screaming and kicking, you are now STUCK with car seat taking up very valuable real-estate in the very cramped row.
So... I didn't care he was over the weight for rear facing. He was rear-facing after I figured the above 3 things out. Still screaming (until he passed out and fell asleep just as the plane landed), but not kicking the guy's head. (Deepest apologies to all within ear shot of him that entire day)
And there are no direct flights out of Roanoke. At least not to anywhere we'd be going. So... we ended up needed to change planes in Chicago. We landed at Terminal 1, and needed to get to Terminal 2 (well, I forget the exact numbers or letters) and had 40 minutes to do it (about. In theory)
It was about 1/2 mile away. And we were ready for the challenge (we thought) older 2 kids in running shoes, Baby in Kozy on my back, 3 year old in the stroller... Diaper bag on stroller, backpack on Daddy, and car seat attached to rolling suitcase. And we sprinted, found the elevators rather than attempt the escalators (previous experience traveling with kids on an escalator- I WILL fall and it WILL delay us- I am just that co-ordinated). AND we got to the gate with seconds to spare and look up and see...
DELAYED.
We had 15 minutes more. Phew. We can get the kids lunch. I leave Larry with 3 kids, take Joey and find the one McDonalds in that terminal and wait an indeterminate time paying 2x what I think I should for chicken nuggets my kids say they want but may or may not eat...
And I get a call from Larry on my cell phone-
"Hurry up, they changed our gate!!"
"WHAT?!"
And not only did they change our gate. They changed our terminal. 1/2 mile, a people mover and 2 elevators away.
I kid you not.
So.. As I am dragging a now tired-of-running Joey trying not to drop the bag of fast food and drink when someone gets on a plane and rolls one of those luggage cart things in front of me, causing me to slow down..... Just long enough to grab it... toss Joey on it, telling him to hold on tight and sprint back to Larry who is looking none too pleased with the turn of events and after 10 minutes of Kayla whining, Sonia needed to go potty (again) and JM screaming since he'd been needing a nap for a week.
And we became THOSE people:
That is how we went through the airport. Nevermind the sign on it not to put kids on there. WE had a plane we needed to catch and by golly we were going to get there. The baby was on my back, Kayla in stroller, and Larry with luggage thing and kids tucked under the handle with feet on the bottom row. We even went on the people movers like that. And got a few second looks, but no security guards were there to stop us.
And we get to the gate at the 3rd terminal and...
DELAYED. (at least no gate change)
Apparently the Midwest has been having some problems with rain and the particular plane we were supposed to be getting on had been re-routed due to a tornado....
BUT eventually we got on the plane. In the same row this time and only spent 45 minutes parked on the runway waiting to be re-routed due to another tornado or some other inclement weather issue..
We get to CA and THIS is what we looked like waiting for our 2 Chariots to arrive to pick us up after a very long long day: (though it was only 6pm in CA)
1 comment:
All I can say is "OH MY GOSH"...okay, you win!
Post a Comment