Saturday, December 19, 2015

The trouble with the world today is...

Let's pretend I'm 19 and have all the answers in the world again. I can fix EVERYTHING and have not been jaded and trampled by life not going exactly as I expected it to go.

And let pretend I have a blog. (ok, pretend it's 19 year old me not midlife crisis me)

And let's surround my blog with people who read what I write and take it as gospel truth, because if it's on the internet and has a million page hits or is linked by another blog or news site I like, it must be true.

And people circulate these posts, and other people circulate the dead opposite posts, and both people think their side has monopolized the truth/true way to fix the world/economy/religion/etc...

I finally hit that proverbial straw this week when rather than hitting delete, I started responding. I had been operating under the modus operandi of 'respond with grace/ignore/delete' but this clearly has only gotten my 1083 unread emails in my inbox and a facebook feed I can hardly read. So my almost new year resolution is to no longer just ignore but to respond - to everything that I disagree, because isn't that the way the internet is supposed to work?
No one listens anymore, since their minds are already made up and they have 1000 or something likes to prove they are right.
Most things won't matter in eternity. Life the life that God has called you to do, demonstrate His love for others and stop doing battles on every front there is. God did not call us to destroy each others' churches. He did not call us to pick fights in extra-biblical theology. He called us each to an individual relationship with Him. He did not call us to critique other's relationship or lack thereof with Him.  There is a few verses about this- he without sin casting the first stone (john 8:7) and taking care of the log in your own eye (matt 7:3-5). 

The one thing in life that has opened my eyes to the way our heavenly Father's relationship with us is parenting kids.  So many times there are squabbles and tattling- child a with sin issue a tattling on child b with sin issue b. And like our heavenly Father, I want to YELL at them (does He yell? Sometimes I think he does) IF YOU CAN JUST WORK ON YOUR OWN ISSUES AND LET THEM WORK ON THEIR OWN ISSUES WE'D ALL GET ALONG SO MUCH BETTER!!!   And that is what I feel when I see church member a getting wound up that church b isn't "taking a strong stand against (abortion, same sex marriage, upholding the constitution, liturgical rites, etc) 

So often I see church b brow beating someone (who wants nothing to do with Church B) for going to hell for not following their moral code.  The church is putting the pony before the cart. There is no reason for people to follow the laws/moral code/etc of the Bible if they don't claim to be a Christian or follower of Christ. And the way the 'christians' treat them, I hardly blame then for not wanting anything to do with Christianity.

Jesus came to serve then call people to repent and follow him.  If we could all get that order right, God would be pleased and the world would be better.

But the more we continue fighting being angry with each other and forwarding, posting more of the same, the more evil triumphs. 

We have a choice.

No comments: