Friday, September 5, 2014

brushing off the dust of this blog

Sorry I know it's hard to see through the haze of dust here. It's been a while since I've had THIS much life upheaval that I needed a regular outlet. I'd call that a good thing. Mostly.

And boy have I had material to write about but my computer died a painful death about day 4 of the adventure. While it's been touchy with the power cord for years it appears that all the moving it around was the kiss of death. So it hit low priority to hack into my account because I don't remember logins or passwords for anything...   And it's not first in line for technology failure in my life. My first link to the world my cell phone was first in line. IS first in line. Back in may it stopped backing up. It ran out of memory because I'm a spaz with pictures.. I needed to get pictures off to free enough memory to update and I needed to back up the pictures which it wouldn't do....

This is the point where my brother would point out this must be inherently because I use an apple product. And this is the point that I will point out that for 4 years my apple product worked very well..

Back to the current life. Actually let's back up about 6 weeks because that really sets the stage for where we are now.

6 weeks ago (cue music and blurry screen)

We were still in CA. Our moving truck arrived and we had just found tenants for our home. Our home was in the middle of getting new plumbing so that it wouldn't have another plumbing leak while we were renting it out AND it was finally getting the backsplash for the kitchen and new paint.

We hired help. This should have gone beautifully. I should only have needed to finish packing because we were also hiring cleaners.

HOWEVER

the painters. I don't even know where to go with them. I spend 2 days chasing them around wiping up paint they got on everything, including carpet, cabinets and even the rabbit. I kid you not. Supposedly they had a license to paint. I do not believe them at all.

the cleaner spent 3 hours was surprised when I said yes to her 'do you expect me to vacuum?" I could have and did spend 3 DAYS cleaning... and finally gave up.

the movers- I had a perfect system - I had triaged all the boxes - the must move, vs 'if there is room on the truck' move us boxes. The hired movers put everything on the truck, buried 10feet deep.  We got the first 1/2 the truck filled with about 1/4 of our household items. As we realized this we started taking everything else apart to the smallest component including all the particle board stuff that will never make it back together again. seriously not sure why we bothered moving it.. but it's on the truck.

The truck itself - ever seen those mini tractor trailers with "ABF" on the side - that's what all our stuff went into. The theory is great- we fill it, they move and store it for us until we have a home. The jury is still out. Right now I'm saying 'never again' and I'll just let the military move us. HOWEVER will will have to pare down our belongings.. we were several thousand pounds over our weight limit and that would have cost us if they were moving us. I have my suspecions about what put us over our limit and 90% sure that of our 6 person family 1 person and all his heavy toys put us well over that limit. I mean really - have you ever weight a gun safe? And he left a TON - technically probably 3 tons of crap in CA.

Now this all is the normal moving stuff. Where the crazy part ratchets up is that we bought a motor home. A 35 foot used motor home. For a great price - so low that we should have known it was a run for the hills sort of deal. Larry is never one to run from a challenge and took it on.
We bought the extended warranty for it - the kind you add on and hope they cover what breaks - thinking 'well, at least it will get fixed when it breaks'

However unlike homes or cars when they break no one is on any sort of urgency time table to fix said thing.

So we picked it up in Jan. took it camping one weekend and  found out that the hydraulic parts weren't' working. brought it to a rv fix it place who took custody of it for 2 months.  between the "repair" and the extra things Larry needed onto it to tow the car and stabilize it so we didn't kill ourselves driving it.. it was 2 months and not. cheap.

Then he spends 2 weeks doing more add on repairs to add an inverter/welding stuff on the frame, batteries, etc... this is the last month- last weeks- last day we were in CA.  When I say that that RV has become a sore spot with me I am not exaggerating.  He thinks I over react. I can tell you I don't over-react I just slowly simmer forever until I hit a boil over point. It's been at a hard boil for a while now. I was ready to drive it into straight off a dock into the water yesterday... (spoiler alert: hydraulic parts have been repaired twice now and still don't work)

Have to run. Will be back-  Wild offspring have hit their boiling point and I need to go run them for a while outside of this 35 foot cabin.. so off to 100% humidity, the smell of low tide and sweat that can't evaporate even if it tried.

No comments: