And Larry's asked me to see if I can find a good used Ark on Craigslist.
Roads have flooded and been closed. Important ones. Like Freeways.
The Main road on Base has been closed and flooded and one whole area of base is cut off from everywhere else.
We, however are at 190-something feet elevation and aside from 3 inches of standing water in our yard, we're dry. The 3 inches of water and 2 weeks of rain are going to put an enormous damper on the 'operation swingset' for Christmas. This swingset has been quite a feat to obtain,and we haven't yet started to attempt the assembly, which according to the review will take 2 competent adults 10-12 hours. If you add beer and arguing, it could take a week.
This swingset was on sale the day after Thanskgiving and all 3 stores we went to were sold out. Then finally we decided to just bite the bullet and pay full price, found a store than then had them instock and spent, oh, gee, 30 minutes with the cashier trying to figure out how to reserve it because we couldn't fit it in the Civic that night (we had a babysitter with the kids). The next day I go to look up the exact dimensions of the boxes and the swingset was on sale for the After Thanksgiving price. I sent Larry on "operation get a refund" which took him the patience of a saint the determination only he has and he got it done.
So now this 400 lbs of swing set is in the back of the truck. Sometimes it's really nice to have such a big vehicle. It's working as our dry storage shed. Our actual storage shed (is not dry) keeps water out about as well as a wall of sand like the kids build at the beach. Which will be just fine once I don't need to store diapers which need to stay dry in it. (we have wood holding our stuff off the floor. If we get another inch of water in there, not only will I need serious boots, I'll need higher shelves)
But with all this rain, a really odd phenomenon has happened. The "rivers" which have been just dry river beds as long as we've been here- have water in them. LOTS of water. The water is a shade of poo brown, of course, but it's water. I think it's cool to have water here in drought land.
And that's the news from Lake Bonsall where the kids are playing Wii, the mom's blogging and the dad's stuck at work.
No comments:
Post a Comment