Not to gloat, but that was taken within the past month.
We finally have reached the point where we almost enjoy going places. And now that Joey has a big kid bike without training wheels, he is ALL about riding his bike.
And hurray!! There is a bike trail here. (note to self, I LOVE living near bike trails- the Huckleberry trail in Blacksburg, and the San Luis Ray one here..) Anyway. We are 3 miles from the beach by bike trail. We're a good mile long hill down to there and up to home from the trail, so we drove to the trail.
Anyway..it's been something Joey's wanted to do for forever. To ride his bike to the beach. His sisters didn't quite share his enthusiasm, but thought riding their bikes on the bike trail would be fun.
I frankly wasn't sure we'd make it there and was less certain that we'd make it home. The last mile I was dragging Kayla's handlebars and pushing JM in the stroller. I was wishing for a rope to tie to it to drag it easier.. and what should be there on the ground?? a bunch of that yellow construction tape- the plastic stuff to keep people out of something? There was the remnants of a repaired ditch, so I assumed it was left over and left as trash.
One man's trash is another's saving grace.. I doubled it up, tied it to the handle bars and dragged her on her bike, with frequent suggestions that she try peddling. We were the commedic relief for the serious bikers, walkers and joggers on the trail. We rarely see casual users there, usually I feel like I'm riding a donkey along a freeway. And they have bells on their bicycle-- that say "get out of my way!" or "move right!!" or just "RIGHT!!!!!" as they whiz past. At least with me dragging her, they laughed as they whizzed by and didn't yell for us to move over. (there wasn't anywhere to go, anyway..)
As you can tell- we did make it there, the kids had a wonderful time and Joey wants to go back. And next time, I'll actually be prepared and have towels and a change of clothes. They got wet and sandy at the beach and as I'm sitting there thinking "it's about 1.5 hours to sunset, we better head back.." I don't think it took that long to get there, but I was pretty sure it was going to take longer to get back home. And I wasn't looking forward to the complaints of chafed skin and cold and wet that I was pretty sure I'd get..
So.. I texted Larry who was due home/post call between 12-5 in hope he was awake and home and able to pick up the van and pick us up. And God was smiling down at us, so he was and did.
So.. the next day that we all need a fun filled day.. we'll head down to the bike trail with towels and clothes and try again..
1 comment:
Joey's grown so much in just the short 9 months since we've seen you. Yay, Joey, for new skills!
Sadly, we don't have any trails like the Huck (I miss it)..but thankfully, we have lots of playgrounds (woohoo!).
You're one heck of a trooper to trail it 3 miles to the beach with all 4 little lions.
Miss you...wish we could get the kids out together, I know Josiah would have a blast with Joey riding bikes.
Post a Comment